I survived!

First and foremost, I survived the first day back to school with the kiddies! **3 cheers for Ginger** Only 14 showed up on my doorstep out of the 16 I was supposed to have and that, unfortunately, only means one thing...I will be inheriting all the new kids. Ugh. But, my class was lovely, and sweet and I heart them already!

The worst part of my day was the afternoon dismissal, which was a huge honking nightmare and took almost an hour to get ALL the little car riders into their cars and gone!! I guess that's what happens when you test out a new method on the first day! Generally speaking though, the first week always takes longer than usual so I am hoping our new plan of action improves throughout the course of the week.

Second, I recently recieved two blog awards which I will hopefully get around to spreading by this weekend, because I just don't have the time to sit down and do it this week being the first week of school and all!

My feet hurt, my brain is disheveled from all the "what's to come" thoughts swimming around in my head, and I am utterly exhausted from today (but in a good way). I will try to post a few times this week, but we will see how much energy I have!

**Note to self and others -- Do not wear even the slightest high heels on the first day back to school. Bad idea. Very bad.

That's all the wisdom I can muster today.

12 comments:

  1. Yay! So glad your day went well! Why did you wear heels??? Haha! Crazy girl! We have inservice this week and start with kids on next Monday. Hopefully parent pick-up will be smoother and faster tomorrow! Glad you have a nice class- that makes SUCH a difference! Were they quiet? They are always SO quiet on the first day! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for your first day back! Glad it done and over! I'm sure the dismissal procedures will get easier...they always do :)

    And, thanks for the no-heels reminder! Do you think Nikes go with black pants?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those first day kinks always get worked out in a few days. I'm glad you have a class of sweeties. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since I'm in junior high we don't have the dismissal nightmare of trying to get our students to their parents. Yikes! The first week is usually crazy and when you are implementing a new system it just makes it crazier. It will get better. Thanks for the reminder about shoes. I'll remember to wear something comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on surviving the first day of school! It's always one of the longest days of the year! I'm glad mine came and went. Your after school pick up sounds like ours - pure chaos! We have parents fighting over who gets in the parking lot first! Hope you have a great year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. After 20 years, I still make the mistake of wearing heels the first day. Ugh! But a trick my colleagues and I have is, when we're out in the hallways, lunch room, traveling through the building, we wear our "good" shoes. When we're in the classroom, we change into any variety of flats, slip-ons, etc. that we've learned to stash in a bottom drawer.

    Glad you're optimistic and excited about the school year! Have a great one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey! I'm your newest follower, a 2nd year Kindergarten teacher from Kansas. So glad you surived- ahhh!!! I am nervous! I met my kids tonight and wow do I have some characters. Will probably be asking for behavioral support ideas. :)

    So glad your first day went well- look forward to reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on surviving! We get the kids on Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, big congrats! The first day is always, in a word, exhausting. Oh, and I'll be sure to heed your warning about heels on my first day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad it went okay for you! Congrats on surviving :). Our first day with the kiddos is next Monday and I will take your tip about heels to heart!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay! Congrats on the first day. I cannot believe you only had 14 kids! Sorry, secondary teacher in shock.

    Anyway, sorry to hear about the long dismissal. I hope it gets better!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations on your awards I cannot wait to hear what awards you have received for your blog. I hope the new carpool system gets better in a few weeks because nobody wants you to have to stay that long after work just to make sure everyone gets home. Also from one teacher to another you should only wear heels on your days off, you feet will thank you for it later. Trust me.

    ReplyDelete

Treats for the Teacher