Anchor Chart Ideas

I have some anchor charts and things that I have been meaning to share, along with about a million other things, but I finally have some time to breath and blog today. =)

I actually took this picture in my teammie's classroom because her idea was so cute and told her I was going to share it on my blog! She had the students write one word that describes something they learned about each SC region on a sticky note and then she used all of the words to make a wordle! Then, she attached it to the SC region map. GENIUS! And it looks so cute! I decided I am totally doing this as an end of unit activity!


Obviously, we haven't gotten to the last two regions yet!

And here are a few math anchor charts I've made since we have been learning about place value. I think I saw one of the ideas on Pinterest.


My kids just love the Rounding Rap! You can view and listen to it HERE! It's so funny and very catchy! I've caught myself singing it WAY too many times in the last two weeks! I posted about the Rounding Mountain and CUBA method last year and you can view that post HERE for more info! I think the number line is self explanatory, though I have found this way is very confusing for some kids. We (my inclusion teacher and I) taped a number line to the floor and practiced hopping to the the rounded number when we introduced rounding.


I am leaving that last bubble blank for when we begin our addition and subtraction unit next week. I will add an equation in there to represent another way to write a number.

And I saw this fabulous idea on Hope's blog post about real readers! I did the Real vs. Fake reading last year, but I think this way is a much more exciting way to introduce it! You can read all about her fabulous lesson idea HERE


I have a sub for the first time this year tomorrow because I am attending the South Carolina Council for Social Studies conference tomorrow and I am pretty excited to learn some new stuff!

In other news, I finally began working on my "Boo in the Zoo: Animal Themed Halloween Unit." 



Here were some of the things I want to include:
* Animal Research (Bats, Owls, Cats, Spiders, and other creepies)
* Spooky and Weird Animal Adaptations
* Habitats Trick or Treat (Students would pretend they were going Trick or Treating in each habitat and draw or write things they would find there to add to their Trick or Treat bag) I know it sounds crazy, but I'm still in the thinking phase! =)
* Bewitching Words (Students would pick and animal and write describing words)
* Monstrous Metaphors & Spooktacular Similes (Animal related of course!)

I would love more suggestions for activities to include!

10 comments:

  1. Hi! Just wanted to share another great anchor chart on real vs. fake reading from Tammy McGregor. You can see it on my latest post at http://sailingsecondgradeseas.blogspot.com/.

    I love her book Comprehension Connections! It's really helped me frame my lessons so my kids can grasp abstract concepts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see this Halloween unit, it looks adorable! As always!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the habitats trick or treat idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the Super Real Readers anchor chart! I was just speaking to another teacher about a couple of fake readers in my classroom. I am making a chart like your tomorrow...Thanks for the idea! :) Lattes and Laughter

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the wordle for the regions idea! We just finished the regions of California a few weeks ago. I will most certainly be doing this for review! Side thought: California having four regions and South Carolina having six seems very mismatched given their size! :)

    -Dani
    A Place to Thrive

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait fit the unit. I have 2anti-Halloween families thus year!! Sad face
    Maybe I can get away with this!
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wait to see your new unit! I am SO excited about it! :)

    ~Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  8. Boo in the zoo looks adorable. I cannot wait to see it and use it.
    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've taught rounding before with a Cinderella story. If the number is 62 then the ones place is the fairy godmother. She has to have enough power to change Cinderella into a Princess. A 5,6,7,8, or 9 gives her enough power to go "poof" and change Cinderella. But if she is a 0,1,2,3,or 4 she doesn't have enough power, Cinderella doesn't get get changed. Either way at the end the fairy godmother disappears into a 0.

    ReplyDelete

Treats for the Teacher