Regrouping with Addition

Sorry, today's post isn't going to be all that wonderful. I just bought the new Super Mario Brothers Wii and I've been addicted to it all day! I can only get to the castle on level 2 before I die and have to start World 2 all over again!

So, uh...regrouping. I made up this fun little song to go along with my lesson on teaching regrouping with addition. I have put the song in a powerpoint, so you will have to pardon my singing voice.

It goes to the tune of, "If You're Happy and You Know It"

When your number's over 9, you regroup. Clap Clap
When your number's over 9, you regroup. Clap Clap
When your number's over 9, you regroup to the next line.
When your number's over 9, you regroup. Clap Clap

You can just click on the powerpoint and pull it up on your Promethean, SMART board, or projector.

If you'll excuse me, I have more Mario to attend to!

7 comments:

  1. Haha - Mario is an important focus for all teachers to engage in:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since my grandsons love Mario, I will have to teach them your song. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just happened onto the site and used your chant. It was a complete success. The kids actually groaned because they had to go out for recess and put down their addition worksheet.

    Thank!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also just stumbled onto your site... I am going to try this tomorrow with my class. They have been struggling with regrouping.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am student teacher still getting my feet wet. I will definitely use this chant to introduce regrouping. I try to incorporate fun songs/chants into everything. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great! Thanks for the song... how can I access your powerpoint?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, it is embedded in the bold word powerpoint. Just click it to download!

      Delete

Treats for the Teacher